http://www.neobux.com/m/v/?rh=646174756C75626179

Saturday, February 23, 2008

More on Komedya Antiqueña

The cast of the komedya "Kasanag batok sa sugal" (Light versus gambling) by Hiraya Theater Company: McLaurence Saligumba as Prinsipe Kuryente, Jean Matias as Prinsesa Bombilya, Jayro Oriel as Prinsipe Doble, Ralph Armonio as Tigwati, Felipe Alejo III as Haring Plantino, Mercycar Patiño sa Reyna Alabrea, Richard Salameda as Emperador Koredor, Phoebe Rose Buquing as Emperatiz Bangkera, Glenn Mark Rocapor, Lozel Lacbanes, and Kelvin Catipon as Konseheros, Julius Revaldo, Shiela Marie Villeta, Ryan Lista Pameroyan, and Randy Montero and Antonio Arnaiz as Soldado. The music was provided by Doming Moscoso band of San Pedro. Production management was by Richard Magbanua, stage management by Janice Matias, Mayet Cabrera, Mark, Mario Jr., and Minnard Arbozo were stage assistants.

I have to thank the komedya veterans who helped in creating the luwa, marcha, and fight scenes: Cora Cataluña of Barbaza, Gerry Baclagon of Lauaan, and Mario and Bicbic Patiño of Madrangca. Also the many komedyante I have interviewed in my research on the komedya, Kap Genaro Encarnacion, Rebecca Baña, Tita Edith Altar, the komedyante from Lauaan, Barbaza, and Igbalangao, Bugasong. Dr. Cecile Locsin Nava introduced me into this, when she asked me to help in her research on the korido.

This komedya is a product of my research since 2003. After writing several papers on the komedya in Antique, I have gotten to direct one, infusing all the insights I have from the research, and using my own directorial and artistic vision. I have always been fascinated by the komedya, since I witnessed Genaro Encarnacion's rehearsals at the public plaza in the 70's, although I had no idea that I would direct one later.

After working on Exaltaction Combong's "Light versus gambling" I would like to create a komedya of my own. Hopefully I would find the time to write this, perhaps after my long overdue book "Ugsad kang Kinaray-a" is off the press.

Meanwhile, I am participating in the first International Komedya Conference at UP Diliman on February 27-29. Our paper is titled "Faith, Land, and Life in San Antonio," a study on the sustainability of the komedya in San Antonio, Barbaza. I share authorship with co-researcher Richard Magbanua.

The photos here are from our last performance at Belison National School on February 22, 2008.

Hiraya Theater Company's "Komedya batok sa sugal" is open for sponsorship and tour performances. Contact Binirayan Foundation, Inc. at 036-5407343.

No comments: